RV New Horizon CalCOFI Deck & Lab Setup (click on any image for higher resolution)
|2 Van Setup: LTER on Main Deck, IOD van on 01; (3 van setup: IOD, LTER, & CUFES vans, IOD van on 01 doesn't change)|
|J-Frame Net & CTD Block Setup and rigging|
|Marine Mammal Acoustics Winch on starboard side|
Recent additions to CalCOFI Cruises (see prospectus for scheduled station work):
• CTD block requires a tie-back line attached to the bottom of the block & rigged through the end of the J-Frame (see J-Frame Setup photo)
• CTD block should be mounted such that the snatch block wire opening opens forward.
• One 3500m CTD deep casts on station 90.0 90.0 (lat 31.418, lon -121.990) & optionally on 80.0 90.0 (lat 33.150, lon -123.221).
• 9 – 20m isobath SCCOOS stations are integrated into the 66 standard station pattern. 20m bottom depth determines station location ie requested lat-lon position may change slightly due to tidal or bottom variability.
• Acoustic calibration (when scheduled) - performed on San Diego Bay (Harbor Island anchorage) by the acoustics group at the beginning of the cruise, taking 4-5 hours. The acoustics calibration team is shuttled ashore by small boat or water taxi.
• Marine mammal acoustic array deployments during daylight hours. Using the small SeaMac winch & gunwale roller, marine mammal personnel deploy the acoustic array as we leave daylight stations at ~4kts.